At least two policemen died and over a dozen were injured in a brazen attack, heavily-armed militants stormed the Karachi Police chief’s office in Pakistan on Friday (February 17) leading to heavy firing between paramilitary rangers, police and the attackers. 

The attack on security forces in Pakistan’s most populous city comes amid an uptick in terror attacks across the country of late. Multiple explosions and gunfire were heard after armed men attacked the police chief’s office in the southern Pakistani city of Karachi. Local media reported that between eight to 10 assailants were involved in the attack. Authorities have imposed Section 144 in the entire city. 

Local media outlets also reported that the incident took place at Sharea Faisal in Karachi, and an operation was underway. Images and videos from the scene showed that police had sealed traffic on the main road through the city. Reports said that heavy contingents of security forces, including paramilitary soldiers, had arrived. 

At least two terrorists died during the police operation and they were reportedly moved to the nearby public hospital. 

Pakistan’s Taliban claimed responsibility for the gun battle. “Our Mujahideen martyrs have attacked Karachi Police Office. More details to follow,” a spokesman for Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan said in a WhatsApp message to AFP. 

The Saddar police station, which is reported to be located next to the police chief’s office, issued a statement to confirm the attack. 

The statement read: “SHO, PI Khalid Hussain Memon informed that unknown accused [attacked] Saddar police station near Karachi Police Office. Firing is going on everywhere.” 

Watch this report: 

A spokesperson of the Karachi Police confirmed in a statement that the Karachi police chief’s head office had come under attack. “Firing is going on,” it said.

Karachi Police chief Javed Odho also confirmed in a tweet that his office was under attack but said the security forces had responded strongly, reported PTI news agency. 
“Heavy firing is going on between paramilitary rangers, police and the attackers. All mobile vans in the district and area have been summoned to the spot to surround the attackers,” one police source said. 

Pakistan has been witnessing a surge in terror attacks since November when the Pakistani Taliban ended a months-long ceasefire with the government. 

Last month, a Taliban suicide bomber blew himself up in a mosque in the police lines, a high-security zone in Peshawar city, killing over 100 people, mostly policemen, during afternoon prayers. 

(With inputs from agencies) 


You can now write for and be a part of the community. Share your stories and opinions with us here.




TrufflEat Olio Evo 300x207 1

Leave a Reply