Five boy scouts suffered burns, with three of them in a serious condition, after one of them tried to light a bonfire at a scout camp in Non Sang district of Thailand’s the north-eastern province of Nong Bua Lamphu on Friday night.
A relative of one of the injured students said in his Facebook post that the five students had unsuccessfully tried to light a bonfire. Then a supervising teacher suggested that they soaked a piece of wood in benzine first.
One of the boys dipped a piece of wood in the gasoline and lit it, but the flames set fire to the shirts of the students, prompting them to scatter in panic before someone went to their rescue.
The relative said that he is waiting for an explanation from the camp supervisor about how the accident happened.
He said that his nephew suffered 90% burns, has been put on a ventilator and is under close watch by doctors at Srinagarind Hospital in Khon Kaen province.