KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian states of Selangor and Sarawak are the latest to be hit by flash floods, with five relief centres opened across the two states as of Friday (Dec 23).
In Selangor, the Secretariat for the State Disaster Management Committee said that two flood relief centres were opened in Shah Alam and Kuala Selangor. Over in Sarawak, three flood relief centres were opened in Kuching.
This comes on the heels of an alert by the Malaysian Meteorological Department of continuous rain expected in several parts of Sarawak from Friday.
Perak also saw an increase in the number of flood evacuees while the situation remained unchanged in Johor and Pahang, with fewer than 50 people affected by the disaster.
The number of flood victims at relief centres in Terengganu and Kelantan remain the highest, though it has since recorded a downward trend.
In Terengganu, the number of flood victims dropped to 25,895 on Friday morning, down from 27,396 the previous night.
There was also a slight drop in the number of flood victims in Kelantan from 24,690 to 24,297.
Separately, firemen in Sabah on Friday rescued 25 holidaymakers who were stranded at a resort in Kota Belud after they were caught in floodwaters that had submerged a road.
The Star reported that the victims were safely evacuated by the authorities before being placed in a nearby homestay.
At least five people have been killed in Malaysia after monsoon-triggered floods inundated the country’s north, emergency services officials said previously.
Local media reported that four people died in Kelantan on Monday when three sisters were electrocuted while wading in the floodwaters and a 15-month-old boy drowned.
The fifth victim was a two-year-old girl swept away by strong currents in Terengganu on Sunday.