These moist and tender pumpkin pie cupcakes are all of the things you love about pumpkin pie, just bite-sized! Topped with amazing cream cheese whipping cream, these will be the BEST cupcakes you’ll ever eat!!
Pumpkin and cream cheese were just made to go together. For more of this match made in heaven, try these pumpkin cheesecake snickerdoodles, pumpkin cream cheese thumbprint cookies, or these to-die-for pumpkin cream cheese truffles!
Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes With Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
These super simple pumpkin pie cupcakes taste just like a pie with their amazing custard-like texture. You won’t believe it’s cake! Once they’re topped with the light and airy cream cheese whipped topping they become absolutely irresistible. As you start to plan for your Thanksgiving dessert lineup… I would definitely recommend giving these tasty cupcakes a chance! You won’t regret it!
When you want the perfect fall dessert but don’t want it too heavy, this is the recipe for you. These pumpkin pie cupcakes are the ideal size for an individual serving that will taste and feel indulgent without overdoing it. It’s a flawless combination of sweetness and spice, sure to satisfy everyone! If you need more tasty pumpkin dessert recipes in your life, you can find my full list here!
A Reader’s Review
So delicious! Everyone loved how tasty the pumpkin cupcakes were. I loved how moist and so closely it tasted like pie. They were heavy too! Lol. My new favorite!!!
Pumpkin Pie Cupcake Ingredients
These pumpkin pie cupcakes look like they take a ton of ingredients but you’ll have most of them in your pantry all ready to go! This makes them super easy to throw together. Check out the recipe card at the end of the post for exact measurements.
- Pumpkin Puree: You can use canned puree or make your own! (See below) Be sure to use pure pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Sugar: White sugar works great here.
- Eggs: Use large or even extra large eggs for the best height in your cupcakes.
- Vanilla: Imitation is ok here, the real deal is always the best, but it can be pricey.
- Evaporated Milk: Adds moisture and sweetness to the cake.
- Flour: All-purpose flour or unbleached flour are both fine.
- Salt: Enhances the overall flavor of your cupcake batch!
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: These are leavening agents necessary to help the cupcakes rise.
- Spices: I used ground cinnamon, ginger, and cloves for that perfect warmth and fall spice. You can also use pumpkin pie spice!
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
This frosting is like the crown sitting on royalty. Creamy and silky smooth, it’s the perfect topping to the perfect cupcake.
- Cream Cheese: Full fat or ⅓ less fat cream cheese can both be used with success.
- Sugar: Helps to mellow the tanginess of the cream cheese and make it sweet.
- Whipping Cream: Heavy whipping cream will give you nice, rich topping. Don’t buy Cool Whip-type topping.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
These pumpkin pie cupcakes come together so easily! With the best fall flavor, you’re going to want them on repeat all season!
- Preheat Oven, Prep Pan: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 12 muffin tin with liners.
- Mix Batter: In a medium-sized bowl whisk together pumpkin puree, sugar, eggs, vanilla and evaporated milk. In another bowl sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until incorporated.
- Bake: Fill each muffin cup with ⅓ cup of the pumpkin batter. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Chill: Let cool and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add the heavy whipping cream and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few extra ways to get these irresistible pumpkin pie cupcakes tasting as delicious as possible! They’re so moist and flavorful, you may even like them more than traditional pumpkin pie!
- Make Your Own Pumpkin Puree: Using fresh pumpkin puree will take the flavor of your cupcakes to the next level! You can find my full recipe here. Not only is it super easy to make homemade pumpkin puree, but it comes in handy for so many different fall recipes! Pumpkin pudding cake and these mini pumpkin pies are just a couple of my favorites to use it in.
- Don’t Overmix Your Batter: Only mix your batter together until smooth. If you overmix it, gluten may develop and cause your cupcakes to be hard, dense, and rubbery.
- Use Room Temperature Wet Ingredients: If you want cupcake batter that’s smooth and free of lumps, make sure your eggs, dairy, and pumpkin puree are at room temperature before you use them! Note: the only thing you’ll want to keep chilled is your heavy cream. The cool temperatures help it whip up nicely.
These pumpkin pie cupcakes are so good, we never have leftovers at my house. If by some chance you do, (lucky!) here’s how to keep them tasting fresh and delicious!
- Fridge: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. (Although I doubt they’ll last that long!)
- Freeze: Don’t frost the cupcakes if you plan on freezing them. They’ll last up to 3 months in an airtight container or freezer bag. Thaw on your counter 3-4 hours before frosting and serving.
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
Cream Cheese Whipping Cream:
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 muffin tin with liners.
In a medium sized bowl whisk together pumpkin puree, sugar, eggs, vanilla and evaporated milk. In another bowl sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until incorporated.
Fill each muffin tin with ⅓ cup of the pumpkin batter. Bake for 20 minutes.
Let cool and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
TO make the cream cheese whipping cream beat the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add the heavy whipping cream and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
Calories319kcal (16%)Carbohydrates33g (11%)Protein5g (10%)Fat20g (31%)Saturated Fat12g (60%)Cholesterol93mg (31%)Sodium176mg (7%)Potassium198mg (6%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar24g (27%)Vitamin A6284IU (126%)Vitamin C2mg (2%)Calcium100mg (10%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Keyword pumpkin pie cupcake recipe, pumpkin pie cupcakes, whipped cream cheese frosting