Insanely delicious and perfect for dipping, these fried avocado slices are the best appetizer choice! You’re going to love their crispy, golden panko shell and buttery, creamy center.
Avocados are one of my favorite things to have in the kitchen and there are so many tasty ways to use them! If you’re looking for some unique ways to use up this versatile fruit, try this avocado hummus dip, these egg rolls, or avocado salsa!
Deep-Fried Avocado Wedges
If you’re an avocado lover like me, then you’re in for a treat! Fried avocado is one of my new favorite things to snack on and has always been a favorite wherever it goes. This recipe starts with sliced avocados that are battered and deep-fried for maximum crispy deliciousness. The golden panko shell is the perfect contrast to the creamy umami center.
It only takes a couple of minutes for these bad boys to cook up, leaving you with a tasty, dippable appetizer that everyone will go crazy over. They’re amazing on their own but even better when you serve them with your favorite dips! (You can also add your fried avocado to tacos or burrito bowls!) I paired these wedges with some cilantro ranch, but fry sauce, garlic aioli, and ketchup are great options, too. You may want to make a double batch of these- they’re so good, everyone will want seconds.
What You’ll Need to Make Them
This fried avocado recipe uses everyday ingredients that you’ve probably got in your kitchen right now! Go make yourself a batch and thank me later. Check out the recipe card at the end of the post for exact measurements!
- Cooking Oil: You’ll need this to fry your avocado slices in! I used vegetable oil.
- Avocados: For fries and wedges, I like my avocados to be on the firmer side.
- Eggs: Help the tasty panko coating stick to your avocado slices.
- Flour: Adds to the crispiness of the coating.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: Panko gives your fried avocado the perfect crunch!
- Italian Seasoning: Adds the best pop of flavor to your avocado wedges. Try making your own blend of Italian seasoning! You can find my full recipe here.
- Garlic Powder: You can never go wrong with garlic! Add some to your bread crumb mixture for a tasty, savory flavor!
- Salt: A pinch is all you need to enhance the overall flavor of this appetizer.
How to Make Deep Fried Avocado Fries
The process is a lot simpler than you’d think! You’ll have your avocado fries crispy, golden, and ready to munch on in no time.
- Prepare Oil: In a deep skillet, add about 1 inch of vegetable oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Slice Avocados, Prepare Batter: Peel and slice the avocados in half lengthwise and then cut into wedges. In a shallow dish, add the eggs, in another dish add the flour, and the last dish adds the panko, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt.
- Coat Avocado Slices: Dip the avocado into the flour, then the egg, and lastly in the panko.
- Deep Fry: Add about 4-6 strips to the hot oil and fry for about 2 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove them and place on a paper towel lined plate. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Deep-frying avocado is one of my new favorite ways to prepare it. It’s just too golden and delicious to pass up! Here are a few ways to customize and perfect your batch of avocado fries.
- Swap Out Seasonings: You can customize the flavor of your bread crumb mixture by swapping your Italian seasoning for a pinch of Cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, or blackened seasoning. A pinch of paprika or cayenne is also great for adding a touch of spice!
- Use Firm Avocados: If you have an avocado on hand that isn’t quite soft to the touch yet, it’s perfect for making fries with. You want any avocados you use to be slightly firm, so they hold up through the breading process.
How Long Does Deep-Fried Avocado Last?
If you have leftovers of your fried avocado, store them in an airtight container for up to 24 hours in the fridge.
Note: I always like to crisp up leftover avocado fries by popping them in the oven or air fryer for a few minutes at 350 degrees F.
- oil for frying
- 4 avocados slightly firm
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a deep skillet add about 1 inch of vegetable oil and heat to 350 degrees. Slice the avocados in half lengthwise and then cut into wedges. In a shallow dish add the eggs, in another dish add the flour, and the last dish adds the panko, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt.
- Dip the avocado into the flour, then egg, and lastly in the panko.
- Add about 4-6 strips to the hot oil and fry for about 2 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove them and place on a paper towel lined plate. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.