Another 2 deaths, resulting from the fire at the Mountain B pub in Chon Buri province last Friday, have been confirmed yesterday and today (Thursday), bringing the toll to 17.
Twenty nine other people are currently receiving treatment in hospital, with 15 on ventilators. 9 people have already been discharged from hospital. Thirteen people died at the site and a total of 55 people were injured.
Only one door which was narrow was available for visitors and rescuers. It became clear later that there were other entrances and exits but they were locked or blocked.
The bar owner, who was charged with negligence causing the death of other people and operating a pub without a licence and has been granted bail of 300,000 baht, had agreed to pay 50,000 baht in compensation to each of the families who died and 10,000 to every person injured, according to his lawyer.
The Mountain B pub caught fire early last Friday morning. The blaze is believed to have been caused by an electrical short circuit near the stage. This is one of the deadliest fires in an entertainment venue in Thailand. The worst occurred on New Year’s Day in 2009, in which 66 people died and over 200 were injured.